Sunday, November 2, 2008

#5 (5:00 - 5:38)

meditate "Be peaceful, experience silence, meditate and really listen to God. The result will be that you would find the solution to each and every one of your problems, whether it be related to relationships, finances or health or self-image, all within your self. The peace, the silence, the solitude, all come from an understanding that God's one and only voice is silence, as Herman Melville reminded us. If you could be peaceful even for one moment today, just peaceful and go within, you're going to find the bliss you were looking for."

Herman Melville said that God's one and only voice is silence. This is amazingly true. Beyond the noise of everyday life and the noise of the mind, there exists a field of silence that is truly of God. As I type this, I am reminded of the first verse of the Tao Te Ching where Lao Tzu describes the Tao as the nameless and unchanging; that which is the silence. It becomes a challenge at times to contemplate on these sort of ideas in a society that is moving so quickly and values speed so much. This is why I believe it is important to sit in silence and be at peace any time I have the opportunity. Only then is it possible to reconnect and truly hear that voice in your head; the voice of God. It is amazing how it is in that silence that we derive the answers to what we have been looking for.

I have a practice of sitting in silence, closing my eyes and going within when I am uncertain about a particular situation. Usually I come out feeling a lot better; things are a lot clearer and I have not been bewildered more by other people's opinions. More so, the act of going within usually brings clarity. It is rare that we get the chance to do this in our busy and hectic lives, that is why we all should make it a priority to meditate or be in silence a few times during day. It does wonders for me, maybe it will for you also. A great teacher said that the answer to all questions lies within. Go within oneself and listen to that voice and the answer will be revealed. That's all that is needed at times; meditation.

I have always enjoyed the silence. It somehow makes me feel connected to everything because I am focused on nothing. It is hard to explain at times. For some, it is really difficult to be in a room alone. It is not my experience; I really enjoy that; the peace, tranquility and connectedness it brings to me. I remember when I lived in North Carolina, I went out to the woods adjacent to my apartment and just sat there in mindfulness. By that I mean I just did nothing but be there in that moment; in contemplation. It became something I really enjoyed. Now I am back in New York; different lifestyle, different environment, so it takes more effort to do that. However, I am consciously aware of it and do it when I can. The peace, I believe, already resides in me. It's just a matter of connecting to it.

God bless.

Frank.

No comments:

Post a Comment